About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
A project manager by day, but an outdoor enthusiast 24/7. Desired profession....KAYAKER! My boats include a red 14' Wilderness Systems Capehorn, an orange 11.5' Dagger Blackwater, and a lime green Dagger Approach 9'. One more boat and I think I qualify as a livery. My other toys include a Specialized Allez Sport road bike and a Jeep Wrangler to hold 'em all!

Monday, September 20, 2010

Short Hike to Wells Falls - Ithaca, New York

I felt like a kid climbing down the rocks to view Wells Falls (a.k.a. Businessman's Lunch) from below.  The Six Mile Creek outside downtown Ithaca has four waterfalls that drop 65 feet in total.  Although it was a short hike to the bottom, it wasn't exactly an easy climb down.  I think I took the hard way down as the brochure says 0.2 miles, easy hike and I think for me it was only 0.1 miles, scary steep and straight down shale rock hike.  I saw a path that led away from the falls, but decided the most logical path was the most direct route - straight down!  That was until I got to the bottom and looked back up. It wasn't so bad, but I was nervous as it was getting dark and I left my phone, water, and apple half way down the rock formation.  Made it back up though, and pictures below to prove it!



I find the irony in the picture of the old man-made brick mill against the natural shale rock formation.  I wonder how many more seasons the brick will remain semi-intact.  I would have loved to explore inside the mill too.


Directions to this beautiful area:  Follow Route 79 east from Ithaca Commons 1 mile and turn right on Giles Street.  Turn left into Mulholland Wildflower Preserve, just before the bridge.  Although there is an intriguing trail along Six Mile Creek leading away from the parking lot, don't be fooled as I was.  To get to the falls, walk out the Preserve driveway entrance and hang a left to overlook the gorge below from the bridge.  On the other end of the bridge sidewalk is a path leading to the falls.  Take the path and take in the beauty! 

1 comment:

  1. We just spent a few hours in Ithaca this past week and found this waterfall and old mill. We wonder what its history was. Once upon a time, it was very impressive, but now, so sad. I would not want the liability for an empty building like that.

    ReplyDelete