About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
A project manager by day, but an outdoor enthusiast 24/7. Desired profession....KAYAKER! My boats include a red 14' Wilderness Systems Capehorn, an orange 11.5' Dagger Blackwater, and a lime green Dagger Approach 9'. One more boat and I think I qualify as a livery. My other toys include a Specialized Allez Sport road bike and a Jeep Wrangler to hold 'em all!

Monday, September 27, 2010

Paddling Big Walnut Creek - Hoover Dam downstream ~1.5+ miles.

Big Walnut Creek (upper section below Hoover Dam)
Columbus, Ohio
Temp:  50 degrees and cloudy (chilly)
Flow:  ~140 cfs
Depth:  2-3 feet
Put-in:  Below Hoover Dam off Central College Road
Take-out:  Same as Put-in
Mileage:  ~3 miles round trip
Time:  1800 - 1930
Boat:  Dagger Approach 9

I took my new boat out yesterday evening for the first time aside from the demo on the pond.  I scouted river levels using http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/rt.  Big Walnut Creek looked to be the only paddlable local river as everywhere else was just too low with the lack of significant rain.  It was around 2+ feet deep in most areas and had some good ripples and a nice 18 inch rock shelf with a runnable chute on river left.  I probably paddled 1.5+ miles down stream easily, but struggled paddling back up to the same place I put-in.  Twice I had to get out and pull my boat up stream.  I've never paddled back up stream and didn't realize how hard it really would be.

I did not take my nice camera with me, but did snap a few shots with my cell phone.  It was a great experience particularly as I practiced ferrying (or paddling laterally across a current).  It was a good workout too as my shoulder muscles are bulging out today.  The one exciting rapid (probably a class 1+/2) was about half mile from the put-in.  I pulled over and scouted it out.  Since I didn't have my life jacket on (shame on me again), I put it on and jumped back in my boat.  I shot right through the chute.  Just as the online reviews said, the Approach took in some water over the hull and into the cockpit.  Quite different than my other Dagger boat, but nonetheless I loved it.  I will surely invest in a spray skirt and was told there is a specially made skirt for the Approach by Harmony. Other skirts did not receive good reviews online.  I have a Harmony skirt for my Capehorn that has served me well (when I remember to put it on).  I did just purchase the Seals Cockpit cover for this boat and it worked wonderfully on the 500 mile trip back to Ohio over the weekend. Cut down the road noise and allowed me to store paddling gear in the boat instead of the car trunk.  This is particularly helpful when your paddling gear gets stinky from the river water. 



I passed a couple of old amazing homes....old farm homes on the western bank.  The eastern bank was very steep and moderately thick with trees.  Saw two Does on a dip in the eastern bank, running away from my vicious paddling splashes as I fought the current.  I saw an old cellar-like hide-a-way.  Unless you were on the river, you'd probably not notice it.



Close to the take out (also my put-in) I saw a Buck, 2-point I think, crossing the stream.  He didn't seem to care that I was intently watching him cross the moderately flowing current in this area.  He was very cautious and at times appeared like he was going to give up and turn back.  He was determined, though, and successfully jumped onto the other bank and was gone. 

Just shortly after the Buck crossed, 4 guys came down river in their 10-12 foot rec boats appearing to be embarking on an overnight trip perhaps paddling all the way to the Scioto River.  I would have loved to join them.  We exchanged greetings about getting some of our last paddles in for the year.  I think we all secretly knew we'd be out again in winter should the temps rise to above 40 and sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment