About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
A project manager by day, but an outdoor enthusiast 24/7. Desired profession....KAYAKER! My boats include a red 14' Wilderness Systems Capehorn, an orange 11.5' Dagger Blackwater, and a lime green Dagger Approach 9'. One more boat and I think I qualify as a livery. My other toys include a Specialized Allez Sport road bike and a Jeep Wrangler to hold 'em all!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Birdwatching on Walnut Valley

A few pictures from my parent's backyard that I took this summer on my most recent visit to northern Ohio.  One morning last summer my Mom and I sat in the kitchen counting over a dozen different species of birds!

Can you name them?

















As a kid I saw the Tufted Titmouse, Black Capped Chickadee, American Goldfinch, Purple Finch, House Sparrow, Red Winged Blackbird (hanging out on the cattails in the 2 swamps that used to be on the property), Hummingbird,  Kingfisher, Mallard duck, Wood duck, Hooded Merganser (only once!), Great Blue Heron, Little Green Heron, Red-Tailed Hawk, Pileated Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Flicker, Cardinal, Robin, Blue Bird, White-Breasted Nuthatch, Blue Jay (pretty birds, but mean), Killdeer (laying their eggs on the side of gravel road we lived on).  I'm sure there were more, but these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head without perusing the bird book.  This past year I saw birds I've not seen in person before including the Cedar Waxwing, Eastern Towhee, Baltimore Oriole, Eastern Kingbird, and the Bald Eagle which was so cool seeing it for the first time ever on the Fourth of July no less!

2 comments:

  1. That house looks familiar. ;) Pictures look great. These must have been with the new camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! New camera! Dad and I drove around the property in the golf cart...too old to walk it anymore. LOL. He took us over into Fannon's property where the loggers came in and just demolished the woods over there. Sad. Looks like a tornado went through.

    ReplyDelete