About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
A project manager by day, but an outdoor enthusiast 24/7. Desired profession....KAYAKER! My boats include a red 14' Wilderness Systems Capehorn, an orange 11.5' Dagger Blackwater, and a lime green Dagger Approach 9'. One more boat and I think I qualify as a livery. My other toys include a Specialized Allez Sport road bike and a Jeep Wrangler to hold 'em all!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Paddling Cayuga Lake - Ithaca, New York

Just a few pix from a morning paddle on Cayuga Lake.  It started out with morning mist on the water that was soon burned off by the sun.  In the shallow waters, the Mallard ducks were dipping their heads in the water looking for food in the mud, their bottoms sticking straight up bobbing around on the water.  Sorry, no pix of this funny duck behavior this time.  A Blue Jay was foraging around as well and I did capture a photo of him.  There is a picture of the Boatyard Grill restaurant on the water, which was the site for dinner later that evening (sea scallops & shrimp - Yum!). 

The water was like glass....so clear down to the rocky bottom.  From the lake house, I paddled south to about a mile past the public access boat launch site at the Allan H. Treman State Marine Park (photo of boat slip area below).  I continued further down almost another mile under the route 89 bridge before turning around and heading back (with the wind helping me along).  I saw many rowers out that beautiful morning.  I suspect some Cornell University and Ithaca College crew teams.  Did you know that rowing is the oldest intercollegiate sport in the U.S. (source:  Wikipedia)? 


























2 comments:

  1. Luv ur pics, Wendolyn. You've got a good eye for composition, imo. How's the fishing on Cayuga?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tim - Thanks! I didn't fish, but Cayuga and Seneca Lakes up there are supposed to be excellent fishing lakes. Apparently Treman Marina in Ithaca has free bags of ice for boaters in the off-season. Is that normal?

    One of these days I'm going to get my fishing license. Perhaps you could recommend the type of pole and bait I should focus on for a rookie...and good fishing holes outside C'bus!

    According to www.nycanal.com, Cayuga Lake has Rock Bass, Sunfish, Perch, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Chain Pickerel, Northern Pike, Lake Trout/Rainbow and Brown Trout, and Landlocked Salmon.

    ReplyDelete