About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
A project manager by day, but an outdoor enthusiast 24/7. Desired profession....KAYAKER! My boats include a red 14' Wilderness Systems Capehorn, an orange 11.5' Dagger Blackwater, and a lime green Dagger Approach 9'. One more boat and I think I qualify as a livery. My other toys include a Specialized Allez Sport road bike and a Jeep Wrangler to hold 'em all!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Biking Three Creeks Metro Park

My favorite place to bike in the central Ohio area is Three Creeks Metro Park.  For those of us not living in the boondocks and wanting to get somewhere quick just outside the city, Three Creeks is a great place.  Like any paved bike path, you have to watch out for the walkers, runners, rollerbladers, kiddies, puppies, and woolly bears.  Yep...woolly bears.  I almost ran over one today on my 10 mile ride.  I also had to slow down for a pack of kids.  If I was a teacher, I'd be taking my kiddies here too on a beautiful sunny and 70 degree day like today. 

My favorite part of the bike ride in Three Creeks is about a half  mile or so into the Blacklick Creek Greenway Trail where it curves around the open prairie land.  The sunlight bounces off the autumn colored prairie grasses this time of year for a beautiful sight. 

There are many entrances to the park.  For a short 10 mile ride, start at the Heron Pond entrance on the north side of Williams road leaving the parking lot and heading towards the bridge over Alum Creek.  This Alum Creek Greenway Trail will connect to the Blacklick Creek Greenway Trail about 2 miles away. Continuing to the end of Blacklick Creek Greenway Trail will create a 5 mile ride and so roundtrip is a fairly flat 10 miles.  There are no roads to cross and hence no stop signs slowing you down.  This trail is in the process of being extended with a projected open date of late 2010.  Can't wait.

If you're wondering, the three creeks include Alum, Blacklick, and Big Walnut.

2 comments:

  1. I biked this metro park again the other day but parked at the Sycamore Fields entrance off of Spangler Road instead of the Heron Pond entrance. Heading East technically on Madison Loop Trail then South onto the main trail, Alum Creek Greenway Trail, makes for an almost 12 mile roundtrip. Again no roads to cross and so no stop signs to slow you down. This makes for a great ride to get in over lunch.

    Adding on the Oxbow loop section in the opposite direction (North on Alum Creek Greenway trail) will add about 8 miles roundtrip making a total of nearly 20 miles. This section does require crossing Watkins Road and caution should be used here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...so I rode Three Creeks again today. Adding on the Oxbow loop mentioned above only adds 3 miles not 5. So only 15 miles for the route from Sycamore fields south the entire way, then back north to Oxbow loop before back to the parking lot. Yeah disappointing I know as 20 miles seems like a good milestone. But good news is the extension on the end of the Blacklick Greenway trail is not paved and closer to being open to ride! You can also ride past Oxbow loop up to Livingston Ave now. That part of the Three Creeks opened up a couple of years ago I believe. Beautiful ride on a gorgeous day!

    ReplyDelete