About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
A project manager by day, but an outdoor enthusiast 24/7. Desired profession....KAYAKER! My boats include a red 14' Wilderness Systems Capehorn, an orange 11.5' Dagger Blackwater, and a lime green Dagger Approach 9'. One more boat and I think I qualify as a livery. My other toys include a Specialized Allez Sport road bike and a Jeep Wrangler to hold 'em all!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Big Darby Creek - Swift Paddle

Big Darby Creek - W/SW of Columbus, Ohio (2 trips back-to-back days)


DAY 1
Put-in:  Alkire Road ODNR Canoe Access, river left
Take-out:  Osprey Lake (Darbydale near intersection Norton Rd&Rt 665), river right
Temp:  Upper 60's, partly cloudy with light rain
Flow:  1500 cfs
Depth:  5 feet
Mileage:  6 miles 
Date:  Saturday, 05/07/11
Time:  14:25 - 15:40 (1 hour 15 minutes)
Boat:  Dagger Approach 9

Put-in (river left)
Take-out (river right)



Putting in at Alkire road access is where I most often put in.  Not only is this a beautiful section with few houses along the banks, it's great because I can shuttle myself (with a little effort).  I drop off my kayak at the put-in (locking it up) and then drive down to the take-out to park my vehicle.  Then I walk/jog back up to the put-in.  It's only about a 3.5-4 mile "hike" back up to the put-in mainly on a very quiet and peaceful back country road cutting through the Battelle Darby Metro park the last mile or so.  Or if you prefer to bike, it's about a 9 mile bike ride back as you can't cut through the Metro park on your bike (even with a mountain bike...no bikes allowed on this trail). 

On this trip I saw a muskrat swimming near the shore diving down in the water when I approached.  I also saw several Wood Ducks, which I had not seen previously on this section of the Big Darby.  And the best was about a dozen large turtles, dropping off a ledge into the water like synchronized "divers" 3 at a time.  The river was so peaceful and it was still beautiful even when it started to sprinkle.  I donned my paddling jacket and kept going.  The rapids we're pretty tame at this level (Class 1-2), but still fun. I have the Seals Extreme Tour sprayskirt.  It works great keeping the water out of the cockpit as this boat takes quite a bit of water over the hull in the rapids.  The long rapids at the end of the 6 mile paddle are always the best.  At the take out, near Trapper John's Canoe Livery, I saw 2 fisherman.  Otherwise, the river was all to myself. 

***********************************************************************************



DAY 2
Put-in:  Osprey Lake (Town of Darbydale near intersection Norton Rd&Rt 665), river right
Take-out:  Trapper Johns take out (Town of Harrisburg near Rt 762 & Darby Creek Rd), river right
Temp:  75, sunny
Flow:  1850 cfs
Depth:  5.5 feet
Mileage:  6 miles 
Date: Sunday, 05/08/11
Time:  15:25 - 16:25 (1 hour)
Boat:  Dagger Approach 9


House I want!  It is right on the river as you can see.
I love the barn style and red!  I talked to the owner one day as I paddled by.
The next day I headed out again but did the next 6 mile section.  My boat was still loaded from the day before, but I threw the bike on too to help me shuttle myself back along Darby Creek Rd and Harrisburg-Georgesville Rd to Osprey Lake where I locked my kayak up.  The river was a tad swifter from the day before and a little more fun.  The rapids seemed to be a little more exciting.  I don't paddle this section as often so perhaps the relative unfamiliarity made it more exciting.  The Great Blue Heron kept me company.  Oh and I was serinaded when I first put in the water.  A guy sitting on his porch with his guitar asked me if I wanted him to sing me a song.  I said sure.  So he sang some song that I'm sure was from before my time.  It was a sunny day, but with the river up, no one was out except for the guitar man. 


Take Out:  Intersection of Darby Creek Rd and Rt 762
Travel down Rt 762 and roadside parking is on the left.
Actual take out is just past this intersection on Darby Creek Rd.


Plenty of parking on Rt. 762 roadside pull-off
Take-out (river right)
I've paddled this section but probably not since 2009.  I was surprised that this take out is apprently "owned" or now "owned" by Trapper John's Canoe Livery.  There is a gate across the drive-way now and a sign indicating basically that private paddlers can get a pass (for $ I'm assuming) from Trapper John's.  I'll have to call Jason of Trapper John's and see what the new deal is.  I also need to scope out another take-out but as far as I know there is not another take out point until Circleville (25+miles away!).  Great trip with lots of sunshine!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog. Im moving back to Columbus in a couple months and would like more information regarding your put in/drop off points

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any advice for someone that is looking to launch their kayak from the exact spot you did, however, take Darby Creek to Circleville? How long would this take if you camped on the river bank? Is there spots to camp without trespassing? Any advice I would appreciate. Thanks

    ReplyDelete