About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
A project manager by day, but an outdoor enthusiast 24/7. Desired profession....KAYAKER! My boats include a red 14' Wilderness Systems Capehorn, an orange 11.5' Dagger Blackwater, and a lime green Dagger Approach 9'. One more boat and I think I qualify as a livery. My other toys include a Specialized Allez Sport road bike and a Jeep Wrangler to hold 'em all!

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Buying the Perfect Kayak

So you want to buy the perfect kayak, ey?
Just like you want the perfect relationship?

Well, it ain't gonna happen!  Unless you buy 3 or 4 boats!  I get the question occasionally from my friends and acquaintances wanting help choosing a 'perfect' kayak.  I love to talk nitty-gritty kayak talk so it is about time I shared some things on my blog.

Here is my advice.  
If you live in the Midwest, target an 11-13 foot boat
If you live on the East coast target a 14-17 foot boat
If you live in West Virginia or western NC target an 8-10 foot boat.

'Nuff said...right?  Well, but not so simple as you have to figure out what type of water you are MOST likely to paddle wherever you live.  Everyone seems to say..."I want to paddle rivers and open water."  WELL what else is there left??  Oh, I guess the ocean but hey I'm in Ohio...the ocean to me is Lake Erie and I'd put my 11.5 foot Dagger Blackwater kayak up against any boat.  Ok...so my point really is, you may have to compromise on some water to maximize potential on another type of water.  But don't be discouraged...read on!

The Midwest has some amazing flat, open bodies of water to paddle that would be perfect for the larger length boats.  And the Midwest also has some fun rivers and creeks with some rapids (in the fall/spring) that would be fun with a shorter boat.  

But guess what?  You CAN paddle the rivers and creeks with a longer boat and you CAN paddle the open water with a shorter boat!  Nothing is stopping you!!  But if you primarily plan to paddle open water, why not buy the longer boat...unless funds and weight of the boat are an issue. And if you primarily plan to paddle creeks and rivers, why not buy a mid-size boat.  And forget getting anything smaller than 10 foot unless you are FOR SURE looking to paddle whitewater and even then you should take lessons!  If you live in central Ohio you are looking at going 3-5 hours away to get decent or up to pretty darn good rapids!

So bottom line is there is really no perfect boat.  You make due.  You enjoy your own boat.  You relish in the fact that you have your own boat.  You post pretty pictures of your shiny new boat (and life jacket) on Facebook for all to see!  So what if it paddles like a bath tub in open water the few times you take it out on a lake to relax or fish.  You will LOVE it on the creek and river.  So what if a longer boat seems overwhelming on a creek or river.  You'll glide along on open water and reservoirs like you own it!

...and length of boat is NOT all there is to it!  Perhaps I'll discuss that topic in my next blog.

Tips:
*Longer, touring boats 14+ ft = longer, skinnier, tippier, squeezing your hips & booty in sideways.
*Shorter, rec boats 10-13 foot = more initial stability (you are less likely to flip thus embarrassing oneself, beverage holder which is key, and a more open cockpit to stash a medium size dog or cooler or fishing pole!
*Extremely short boats <10 foot = Good luck on the rapids!!  Take lessons and wear your helmet!

~The Ohio Kayaker (seems like an oxymoron)




4 comments:

  1. I was waiting for you to include your suggestions for the perfect relationship too!

    Great blog, Wendy, I love reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! Oh I'm happy to chime in there as it relates to kayaking and canoeing! The quickest way to a divorce/breakup is buying a canoe or tandem kayak. Get separate boats!! Ha ha. Kinda of joking. Kinda not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,
    I was directed to your blog by a friend of yours. Met her at a kayak demonstration. I thought she said her name was Wendy?? But since your name is Wendy I suspect that I was not listening closely enough. Or perhaps you are both Wendy. At any rate I was hoping to do a trip in the Killarney area of the North Channel(Huron) this summer and she thought you may have some info either on the area or more generically kayaking in Canada. Any issues that a first timer may not see coming. Where I might find myself saying clever things like,"I had to register with the Crown? who is the Crown and the area is reserved how many years in advance." Or "Of course these are my kayaks what do you mean I have to present the title or post a bond for HOW much?? If you get my drift Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Also I am an absolute novice in this blog world so if this is being posted to the wrong sect or area sorry.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beck! I believe I am the friend of the person you met as she told me she gave my name and blog out to someone at a kayak demo. Sorry it has taken me this long to respond. I've not kayaked in Canada or on any of the Great Lakes (yet) except for Lake Erie around Middle Bass Island. Those are very good questions you have! Email me at wendywise03@gmail.com if you'd like and we can chat more about if you went already/or still are going.

    ReplyDelete