About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
A project manager by day, but an outdoor enthusiast 24/7. Desired profession....KAYAKER! My boats include a red 14' Wilderness Systems Capehorn, an orange 11.5' Dagger Blackwater, and a lime green Dagger Approach 9'. One more boat and I think I qualify as a livery. My other toys include a Specialized Allez Sport road bike and a Jeep Wrangler to hold 'em all!

Monday, August 30, 2010

Paddling Madison Lake August 2010

August 2010
Madison Lake at Madison Lake State Park in London, Ohio
1 boat ramp, electric motors only


This past August I paddled Madison Lake three times!  With the rivers low this time of year, the small lakes fulfill my paddling urge.  I took the 14 foot kayak out twice and my shorter Dagger Blackwater once so that I could take Jessie, one of my Jack Russell Terriers, with me.  She likes to sit on the decking in front of the cockpit like a hood ornament.  I paddle and she watches for snakes!

This lake can be paddled in 30 minutes, but I have learned to slow down and enjoy the birds, turtles, and fish.  When leaving the boat ramp, paddle way back to the right in the shallow areas to see an abundance of wildlife.  Then stay left to view turtles, the Great Blue Heron wading, ducks playing, and carp lurking in the shallow waters  feeding off of the muddy bottom.  I was surprised that my terrier didn't jump out of the boat to try to get the carp.  She seemed just as fascinated as I was with seeing several inches of the tail fin sticking straight out of the water!

I saw an Osprey on two of the trips as well as a young Great Blue Heron the last time I was out. My favorite was snapping a photo of the Kingfisher as most of the time I see them on the river always skipping ahead of me, never letting me get close enough to photograph.

There are a dozen or so houses set back off the water along this small lake.  However, you hardly notice them other than to dream about living there one day.  I do plan to return as this lake is just too  close to home and peaceful to not paddle again.  Perhaps when the leaves start changing! 




1 comment:

  1. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources website has a list of boating sites over 50 acres in size by county. I'm thinking I'd like to make it to all the lakes listed, providing there is a boat ramp or other appropriate kayak/canoe launch site. Rivers are also listed on this site. Check out the ODNR - Ohio Boating Areas link under "Wendy's Favorite Websites" to the right of the blog page.

    ReplyDelete